Sunday, July 14, 2013

Before Ebooks

How many of us have saved fragments from our childhoods?

I have 17 editions of Best in Children's Books.

 When they arrived monthly in the mail, my joy was boundless.

Each book contained a classic . . .
  
 a bit of non-fiction . . . 

a story from another country . . . 

(as my hubby likes to say) a bit of American propaganda . . . 

and, too often, a Babar story.

Soon to be famous people showed up . . .



and a pictorial visit to a foreign place finished each book.

Oh, and did I say American culture was well covered? 

Abridged versions made their appearances . . . 

as did seasonal music.

Often there were things to make . . .

and sometimes a bit of Christian guidance thrown in.

The interval between deliveries seemed a lifetime.
The interval between then and now is a lifetime.

Sometimes the light's all shining on me.
Other times I can barely see.
Lately, it's occurred to me,
What a long strange trip it's been.

                                                   Truckin'  
                                                                 The Grateful Dead


1 comment:

Beetlebirdhare said...

Hi, had to comment - love the illustrations in these books : )
Sian